Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 17: Camera Strap Cover

I can't help but be excited for Christmas and spending time with family. Last night my husband and I went to the Holiday Train that came through town and it was so much fun. Really gets you in the spirit of Christmas. (The Holiday Train is pretty special to us because 3 years ago we got engaged that night)

I am also relieved I finally got the last of my packages sent out. So everyone will get their presents on time :) And today we are having our annual gingerbread decorating contest with the Howe cousins. It gets a little intense and usually the "big" kids end up being a little too competitive. Stay tuned for pictures and to see who won!



I have been wanting to make one of these babies for a long time but unfortunately this is not for me. Hoping after Christmas I will make one for myself. Maybe even this exact one. Love, love the colors and how this turned out. So fun. Purple is my favorite :)

Supplies:

  • fabric
  • cutting mat/rotary cutter
  • sewing machine and thread
  • batting (optional)

Cut 6'' x 30'' piece of your body fabric. Two strips for ruffle fabric 1.5'' x width of fabric and 2.5'' x width of fabric. 

Fold a 1/4'' seam on both sides for your ruffles. Do this for both strips of fabric. Stitch along the fold. This is to hide the raw end and prevent it from fraying. (see picture below)

Once you get your seams sewed. Then you will want to sew down the middle of each strip to create the ruffle. When sewing down the middle make your stitch length as high as your sewing machine will allow you. I had my stitch length set to 5.0 (see picture below)

 

When you get both of your strips sewn down the middle. Take your top stitch and pull gently. This will start creating your ruffles. (see picture below)




Pin larger ruffle about a 1/2'' from edge of body fabric. You may have to adjust your ruffles. Once you get the larger ruffle sewn pin and sew your second ruffle on top. I sewed right next to my thread that made the ruffle. When I got done I gently pulled the loose thread with a ripper. This was my personal choice feel free to do what you want. I just thought it gave a much better finishing look. 


This is optional: I cut a piece of fabric to fit the body of the fabric. The batting allows for a little cushion on your neck. Pin fabric and batting together. Fold under 1/4'' seam on both ends of fabric. Sew to make a finished edge. 

Once you get your batting sewn and in place. Fold body of fabric right sides together. Pin along the long edge. Sew down the long edge using 1/4'' seam allowance. Remember to back stitch at start and finish. You should now have a long tube. Flip your strap right side out and iron edges. Sorry I didn't take pictures of this. Please let me know if you have questions. 

You can choose to be done at this point. I decided to add a few rosette flowers. 




Enjoy! See you tomorrow :)


3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! We are ready for you. Bring it on!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I was so hoping this was mine. Love it, love it, love it!! I finally snuck a peek at our aprons this morning and they are so adorable. I can't wait for our first mother/daughter baking day with them on. :)

    ReplyDelete