Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 11. Coffee Kozy

I have had this on my "to do list" for almost a year and have never got around to it until now. That's what I am really enjoying about doing the 25 Days of Christmas. It either makes me try things I would have never imagined I would be making or I end up making something I have been wanting to do for a long time.


The Coffee Kozy being something I have been waiting to make and every time I put it on the back burner. So here it is finally!!!

Supplies:

  • Scrap fabric
  • Batting
  • Sewing Machine/Thread
  • Pins
  • Button
  • Elastic or Ric Rac
  • Starbucks Sleeve template

Start off by taking the sleeve and tracing it about a 1/4'' larger around the main piece of fabric. This is to allow for your seam allowance. Now use your fabric template you made to cut out your other piece of fabric along with the batting. The batting is to protect your hand from getting burnt from the coffee cup plus it adds a little cushion for comfort. 


When you have your pieces cut out put the two fabrics right sides together and then layer the batting on top. Pin your pieces together to keep them in place. Sew a 1/4'' seam allowance around the sleeve leaving one end open so you are able to flip your kozy right side out. 


Before you close the opening you will want to cut your ric rac or elastic whichever you choose. Cut your ric rac approximately 3" and insert between your layers. Top stitch around your sleeve making sure you back stitch when you start and finish. Add button to your sleeve. 

If you don't like the button you can always use velcro. Just make sure you make your ends longer to over lap for the velcro. 



Now pair your favorite coffee with your coffee kozy and you have a perfect pair. Enjoy! See you tomorrow :)

2 comments:

  1. cute, cute! The perfect stocking stuffer for my little latte/frappe/hot cocoa/steamer girl. Of course, I'd have to commission you to make it for me. :) An idea for next year......

    ReplyDelete