Monday, October 3, 2011

heritage.

Last week Matt and I went to the Norsk Hostfest. It is North America's largest Scandinavian Festival. It was fun to experience it together and learn about my heritage. We spent hours looking at different vendors, food booths and watching some of the vendors working on wood carvings, making socks from wool and making rugs on a loom. Very interesting that people are still making things by hand. Love it.
We had to partake in some very good Norwegian goodies. Matt had to have Fattigmand (Poor Man). I tried an almond bar and a chocolate Rosette Cookie. They are so delicate and beautiful you almost hate to eat them. We also had some Lefse. The kind we tried was a "little too thick" as my grandmother would say. "It needs to be a little thinner" Last winter my mother took the time to show me how to make Lefse. Which is ironic since she is German. I think its so great learning my culture. Another memory I had is my grandma used to always make me Sandbakkelse. They were my favorite cookie growing up. I always remember she would make them special for me. I have since learned how to make those as well. We also tried Risengrot (Rice Pudding) and Rommegrot. The Rommegrot is interesting. Lets just leave it at that. It consists of cream, flour and butter. So you can about imagine. 
I love all of the beautiful artwork and detail. All of these are hand painted. I bought some goodies for myself including a beautiful Norwegian plate and spoon, Norwegian Christmas book and a Lefse turner. The Christmas book we bought has the old traditions with a few songs and recipes of food that they would have for Christmas. Maybe I will have to incorporate something to our Christmas this year. 

I can't wait to go back and I am thinking I will help volunteer next year :)

Ha det bra....meaning Good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment